Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
This eight-week summer internship program matches undergraduate students with scientists at the Magnet Lab’s three sites, offering them unique opportunities to explore science at the extremes of magnetic fields, pressure and temperature while working alongside some of the finest scientists, magnet designers and engineers in the world.
The MagLab offers a wide range of research experiences in physics, chemistry, biological sciences, geochemistry, materials science and magnet science and engineering. Summer interns work closely with their faculty mentors and are thoroughly integrated into research and development activities. Beyond the lab, students broaden their knowledge of diverse Magnet Lab research by attending weekly seminars and colloquia.
Each student accepted by the program receives a $3600 stipend based on completion and, if necessary, a travel stipend of up to $600. Housing is also covered by the program. For the summer 2013 REU session, 179 undergraduates applied; 24 were accepted.
- The program is for US citizens and permanent residents only.
- Housing is provided for out-of-area students who are placed at the Tallahassee site and do not attend Florida State University or students who are placed at the University of Florida site and do not attend the University of Florida.
- Travel reimbursements of up to $600 are paid to students who do not attend FSU or do not have permanent residence in Tallahassee. Students whose parents or legal guardians live in Tallahassee are not eligible for reimbursement. The travel reimbursement will only cover direct travel from the students home to the lab location.
- Students are required to participate in the entire eight weeks of the program.
To apply for the 2014 program, which runs from June 9th to August 2nd, 2014, click on the Apply Here link above. That application deadline is Friday April 18th, 2014, at 5 p.m.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors on school letterhead
- Official Transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended
- Goal statement (uploaded on application)
- Resume (uploaded on application)
All correspondence can be sent Attention: Jose Sanchez, 1800 E Paul Dirac Drive., Tallahassee, FL 32310
The Life in an REU
Learn more about the MagLabs Research Experiences for Undergraduates program from the REU participants themselves in these blogs. View List of 2013 REUs and their research projects.
Arranged by year, these archives include information on participants and their final posters on the research they conducted.
This experience has been more rewarding than I could have ever hoped!
Select a Year
Heres what some REU alumni had to say about the program:
“… this experience has been more rewarding than I could have ever hoped! I have had the opportunity to learn so much and to do so much. … I will be going back to Claflin University with so much knowledge and insight not only on NMR, but on myself as well! The MagLab is a wonderful program and I feel privileged and honored that I was able to be a participant this summer!”
– Keiko A. L. Cooley, Class of 2012
“I think one of the most important things I’m going to be taking back is more of a real sense of what the lab environment is like. Back at school, the labs are really linear. It’s do this, do that, and record your results. It’s so structured that it’s a lot harder to do your own problem solving.”
– Jonathan Padelford, Class of 2009
Columbus State University
For more information contact Jose Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (850) 645-0033.